Thursday, August 6, 2009

Etiquette for Babies-2 Legged or 4!

This is not a complaint-as I have decided reading a blog about someone else complaining only is enjoyable to the sick and twisted who take pleasure in other people's pain-this is just some helpful guidelines or gentle suggestions.

When you are the caretaker of a child or dog, there are just some common courtesies you should extend to those who share your space.

Starting with the four -legged kids, be smarter than your dog. It is pretty much that simple. We are people, we do not meet new people and sniff their rears, we do not eat on the floor or drink out of toilets, we do not bite each other when stressed or annoyed-DOGS do all of these things because they are DOGS. It is our job as their owners to anticipate their needs, prevent some disasters, and solve their problems. Last weekend In the Loop's newest family member made a trip to the vet. She entered the vet on a leash with Mr. In the Loop, as she noticed another large lab she excitedly peed on the floor (typical puppy) and rolled over onto her back. The full grown lab stood over the little girl and bit her angrily in the face. Yes, a lab attacked my little Fancy(doing a total disservice to its breed, as everyone knows labs are "nice" dogs) Anyway, $350 later my puppy has stitches in her face and in her mouth and the owner of the other lab still has $350 and did not even offer to help out at all?? I think if your dog is involved in an altercation of any kind you should take some responsibility. If a human child walked up to another human child and punched them in the face, you would spring in to action, right? I can only hope...

This leads to the supervision of 2 legged babies. First of all I LOVE KIDS! My first profession worked with KIDS all day long, I want kids, I love my niece and nephew and my friends' kids, truly I LOVE kids. That being said last week a lovely little 2 year old entered In the Loop. She made a valiant effort to touch EVERY item in the shop. I did not mind until she wanted to hold scissors. I have no kids of my own but I have to believe 2 year olds +scissors = bad idea, right? Anyway, what I witnessed next was what prompted this lengthy blog about parenting suggestions. What I witnessed was adult rationalization with a toddler.
Parent: "You do not want to hold scissors that is the way you get hurt."
Toddler: "No, mine."
Parent:"If you hold the scissors, you may cut your hand and that would be painful. We would need medical attention. I am going to need you to place the scissors on the table. Please.

This dialogue continued throughout the visit to the shop. I am sorry but I think when I was a two year old or when I have a two year old. When it comes to safety or correcting behaviors, adult rationalization does not work. My suggestion:
Parent "No."
Toddler: "No,mine."
Parent:"Put the scissors down now before you get hurt." There may even be some counting involved-"I am giving you to 3...."
If this does not work, you do something truly revolutionary, TAKE THE SCISSORS AWAY!

The scissor scenario is just an example of the continued conversations between parent and child. This child interrupted a business meeting in the shop next door, spent time trying to get in the cash register, and simply felt like my charge the entire time her mom was shopping.

Like I said, just a few common courtesies, that are not so common.

1 comment:

Emily said...

The general rule at our house growing up was that the adults were bigger than us and controlled the money that allowed us to do fun things, therefore, they were right. Always. Parents that try to be BFF with their toddlers creep me out a little bit. The logic of someone two feet tall that eats their own boogers is not sound, friend!